Monday 16 July 2012

Silver Chestnut is now full time!

This week begins a new chapter for Silver Chestnut. Yesterday was my last shift at 'the other job', which shall remain nameless. This now means that from this week onwards I will be working on Silver Chestnut full time. I'm quite excited about it and have got various things lined up to do, such as designs to make, potential outlets to visit, craft fairs to apply for, jewellery parties to plan.... The list could go on. I am looking forward to having the time to work on things more, getting into a routine and being able to plan ahead. (In 'the other job' we didn't get our rotas very far in advance so planning ahead was difficult.)

As I said, I'm quite excited about it, although there are some things that perhaps I'm a little less certain about. Most of these stem from the fact that I am now going to be (a) working from home and (b) working on my own. Some parts of this will be easier to solve than others. This is because, as mentioned previously, I have a few potential outlets to visit, so I will be both getting out of the house and being able to talk to other people. I am also in touch with another jeweller who will let me use his workshop one or two days a week, so I can use the equipment I don't have. Doing more craft fairs and jewellery parties will help this too. However, working from home and being strict with myself, so I don't end up watching TV or finding housework or gardening that needs doing, may be more difficult.

I realise that all jobs have a downside, and maybe being more disciplined and not doing the things around the house that I'm tempted to are the downsides for this job. But I think they are outweighed by the positives, like the joy I find in making things, polishing up a finished piece to see it shine, and seeing people react positively to my jewellery and actually want ot buy it or sell it in their shops. Essentially, finally having a job I enjoy!

If anyone has any advice on working on from home or on your own, feel free to pass it on to me.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogland, and well done on having the courage to do what you love full-time. Wishing you loads of luck. :)

    Rosie. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the long delay in replying. I'm still getting used to all this. Thanks for the comment and following me

      Delete
  2. Very good luck with your venture - you have some lovely jewellery. Maybe try and set yourself a few 'break times' throughout the day so that you can do a few other things without feeling guilty. Shaz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, sorry it's taken me a long time to respond. Thanks for the tips.

      Delete